4/14/11

Scripture with a Soundtrack

Writing, especially good writing, ain't easy.

Not that I've been too regularly associated with the latter, but even pedestrian writing is at least challenging.
Especially in a concealed, quiet office. When you're left with only your thoughts to keep your company, it's hard to reel them in. What were once segments of flowing prose are scrambled and useless.

Writing is rhythm, and silence doesn't have much of a beat.

Enter music. Giving writing a soundtrack gives it direction, it gives it pace and it gives it feel. A certain piece of information can be communicated in a variety of ways and still be the same information, and truthfully stated.

That being the case, a writer's own personal style can be greatly effected by the kind of music they choose to write to. A portion can be a ballad, moving slowly, but with grace. It can stop and smell the roses.

Or in this case, the Apple Blossoms


A piece can abandon subtlety and barrel through a page like a freight train.

Clearly, I'm on an Esperanza Spalding kick. I can't help it. She's my age, she's beautiful, she's limitlessly talented, and she bested Bieber at the Grammy's.

Be still my heart. But not my writing.








1 comment:

  1. I cannot write without music, it is impossible for me. how wonderful artists can find muse in one another.

    ReplyDelete